Monday, February 23, 2009

Who Do You Look Like?

A shy, formerly obscure photographer from Indonesia has become something of a global celebrity almost overnight. Why? Thirty-four-year-old Ilham Anas bears an amazing resemblance to President Barrack Obama. (Ironically, President Obama actually spent 4 years of his childhood growing up in Indonesia!)

Ever since America’s new chief executive began his incredible rise to fame last year, people in Asia started mistaking Anas for the emerging American political leader. He recalls being stunned when someone in an airport in Malaysia stopped him and asked, “Are you Obama?” The inquirer then sought have his picture made with Anas and to buy him a meal.

Later on, some of Anas’ friends encouraged him to dress up in a suit and tie and pose with an American flag. They took his picture and posted the images on the Internet. In no time at all, the young Indonesian’s fame spread like wildfire and he was being pursued by television producers and ad agencies alike.

Since Obama’s election last November, Anas has made a number of appearances, his biggest gig so far being a commercial for a pharmaceutical company in the Philippines in which he portrays our commander-in-chief. (You can easily find the 30-second spot on YouTube.)

While he is happy to cash in on his good fortune, Anas indicates there are limits to what he will do. “I will take all opportunities that come my way,” he said, “as long as they don’t violate ethical codes and my personal values.” Anas went on to say, “I see my resemblance to Obama as a blessing. I used to look at the mirror and I had a negative perception of myself.” But no more, apparently.

Reading the story of Ilham Anas reminded me of something back in the late 1970s. There was a guy who ran a popcorn stand in a shopping mall in Lexington, Kentucky that looked like he could be the identical twin of President Jimmy Carter. It was uncanny. The two must have been separated at birth. The first time I saw the guy, I did such a quick double take that I almost experienced whiplash. Subsequently, every time I was in that mall, I couldn’t help but just stare at this man. He was almost a Carter clone. His hair, facial structure, everything! (I wish even now that I had a photo of him to show you.) One night when the mall was closing, I was sitting in my car in the mall parking lot. All of a sudden, this pickup truck pulls up next to my vehicle. I couldn’t believe it! It was the President of the United States! All alone, driving a truck, with no secret service protection whatsoever! Then, it dawned on me, “No, it’s just that guy that runs the popcorn stand.” I often wondered why that man in Lexington never cashed in on his looks like Ilham Anas is doing right now.

The newfound popularity of Ilham Anas reminds me of something else. In the Word of God, we are told to be imitators of our Lord. We are to follow His example, emulate His character, and let His life shine forth from our own. The First Century believers at Antioch did exactly that. Indeed, they “looked” so much like Jesus that they were the very first people on this planet to be referred to as Christians (Acts 11:26).

Are you an imitator of Christ? Do people see Jesus in you? Do you look like Him?

Don’t be just another face in the crowd…or just another guy running a popcorn stand. Remember Whose you are, and live accordingly.

Borrowing from the words of President Obama’s Indonesian look alike, hopefully your own testimony could go something like this: “I see my resemblance to Jesus as a blessing. I used to look at the mirror and I had a negative perception of myself. But that’s all different now. Because Jesus is in my life and He has changed my life.”

Amen.

Pastor Danny