Thursday, June 05, 2008

Cambodia Impressions, Part 4

The most effective way to do evangelism anywhere in the world is through a relational approach. Connecting with unbelievers. Cultivating friendships with them. Building trust with them. Not simply because you see them as a mission project, but because you genuinely love them and care about them as persons. In other words, your love for them and your interest in them is unconditional. It’s not based on their performance. It’s based on God’s provision. And although your highest desire for them is to see them become true followers of Christ, you’re going to love them wholeheartedly even if that never happens. You’re going to be there for them and be their friend even if they never ever receive Jesus. Because Proverbs 17:17 tells us that “a friend loves at all times.” And the truest friend (and the greatest hope) an unbeliever can have in this world is a Christian friend. And that’s true no matter whether you live in Cambodia or in Virginia or even on Mars!

Real evangelism (& real missions) is all about loving people authentically. It’s not about seeing them as a target or a goal or an assignment or even an enemy, but it’s to view them through the eyes of Jesus as precious individuals for whom Christ died. Individuals that are just like us. Individuals with feelings, hurts, desires, concerns, challenges & dreams. Individuals that need peace, forgiveness, hope &—most of all—Jesus in their lives.

While we were in Cambodia, God gave us some interesting opportunities to connect with people. One memorable person we met was the night manager of the hotel restaurant where we ate breakfast each morning. We would see him early in the morning before his shift ended. And we would see him again (at the beginning of his shift) late at night when we were returning to the hotel after a long day’s work.

The man spoke English, but not always clearly. At first he seemed somewhat gruff. He never smiled and he came across as rather abrupt. But over time he softened. Each day we greeted him and each day he observed our conduct and demeanor. One night as our team was returning to the hotel, he asked me to sit in the restaurant with him and talk for a while. We conversed as best we could, although sometimes it was difficult for me to understand him. (But I’m sure he had no problem picking up on the nuances of my Appalachian mountain twang.)

Every day, in the restaurant or in the hotel lobby, he and I would speak to one another. One day, I gave him a bilingual English-Khmer Gospel tract. The next day, I gave him a Khmer Bible. We talked about the tract. He told me it was helpful to him to be able to read it in both languages. He said it helped his understanding of English. But I wasn’t clear if the message of the tract was really getting through to him. On one occasion, he told me that he would pray to his god to protect us when we traveled back home, so I feared that my witness to him about Christ being the one true God just wasn’t connecting with him.

As the time for our departure neared, he told me how much he had appreciated our team, especially how moral we were. (You can better understand the significance of this remark when you realize that, sadly, many Caucasians—primarily older men—come to Cambodia for less than scrupulous purposes, i.e., to take advantage of prostitution and the sex trade.) The restaurant manager further commented on how much he appreciated all the groups that the “tall, thin man” (W.T.) periodically brought to stay as guests in his hotel.

The evening that we were leaving for the airport to make our long return trip home, my newfound Cambodian friend repeatedly shook my hand, spoke with me, and hugged me. He said, “Your group has been a very good, very moral group. Yes, very good, very moral. Things have been different for me since you have been here. I feel more peaceful. I think much more clearly. I feel better. I am going to regret to see you leave.” He told me this again and again. Truly, the Holy Spirit had been at work.

As we loaded our luggage, he was with us, assisting us every step of the way. It’s as if he couldn’t do enough for us. As we boarded the van, I noted the sad look on his face. And then, just before the van door closed and we pulled away from the curb, I was stunned by the last image I saw of him. He was standing there, with moistness in his eyes, waving and blowing us kisses. What an utterly uncharacteristic display of public affection from a Cambodian man! It truly touched my heart.

Before we left, I told my friend that I was glad to have met him. I told him how helpful he had been to us during our stay, and how much we appreciated him. I also told him that I would be praying for him and that, God willing, I would look forward to renewing our friendship again next year.

Please join me in praying for this young man. Without a doubt, his heart was tenderized by the God-honoring witness of our team. But he still needs to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. It’s my hope and my prayer that this will happen in the coming year.

Pastor Danny