Monday, February 19, 2007

Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road

They say that one’s memory is strongly tied to one’s sense of smell. It’s been proven that certain aromas can carry with them a strong association to events from our past.

Driving down Franklin Turnpike this past week, I couldn’t help but recall Loudon Wainwright III’s offbeat pop hit from the 1970s entitled “Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road.” That musical memory was triggered by the distinct aroma I smelled as I passed the black and white striped carcass straddling the highway’s center line.

Actually, I saw the immobile polecat before I smelled it. “Hmm,” I thought, “That looks like a dead skunk in the middle of the road. Funny, but I don’t smell anything.” No sooner had those naïve thoughts crossed my mind than the unmistakable fragrance of Pepe Le Pew invaded and saturated my car. All of a sudden, I felt like a soldier on the field of battle suffering the initial effects of chemical warfare. In order to save myself, I pressed down on the accelerator in order to flee from the lifeless (but still lethal) form. As my car sped down the road, I hurriedly rolled down my windows—in spite of the cold temperatures—both to free myself from the trapped noxious gasses and to inhale some urgently needed fresh air. After a few seconds of gasping oxygen, I finally recovered, the crisis was averted, and life returned to some semblance of normality.

It had been a long, long time since I had smelled a skunk. That’s why it caught me so unawares. You see, in Florida, we didn’t see many of those critters. No, there we had armadillos, which are kind of like odorless skunks in a helmet and flak jacket. Often, the Florida roadside would be littered with the remains of dead armadillos, their armor no match for the speeding tourists and snowbirds on Florida’s roadways. Usually, buzzards would scavenge off their remains. And sometimes there would be a pungent odor from the decaying carcasses. But, in terms of smell, we’re talking Little League when compared to the Hall of Fame fragrance of the skunk.

This whole episode caused me to do some spiritual reflection. Did you know that God is concerned about how we smell? I know, you’re thinking about the old adage “Cleanliness is next to Godliness." But I’m not talking about matters of personal hygiene. Actually, I’m referring to something much deeper.

2 Corinthians 2:14-16a says “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.” Clearly, God wants us that are Christians to carry forth the sweet fragrance of Christ. To those that are perishing in their sins with no regard for Christ, it will be a reminder of their own death sentence. But for our brethren in Christ, as well as for those in search of hope, it will be the smell of life.

In the Old Testament books of Leviticus and Numbers, when instructions were given regarding various burnt offerings that were to be presented to the Lord, we repeatedly come across the phrase “an aroma pleasing to the Lord.” That’s what God still desires from each of us, even today. We followers of Christ are to be a living sacrifice and our lives should be a sweet aroma that pleases the Lord and brings glory to Him.

The problem is, in the living of this life, we so easily can pick up the stench of the world when we dabble in things that are not God-honoring. Just like getting too close to a dead skunk, visiting a hog farm, or walking in a cow pasture without minding our step, the odious smell of the world can attach itself to us before we even realize it. And no matter how clean we may appear to be on the surface, our repulsive odor will be the one thing that other people will most remember about us. And it will be a big turnoff to them.

How do you smell? Maybe you look like a Christian, but do you smell like one? Have you gotten too close to some things that have inwardly corrupted you and/or tainted your witness for Christ? Maybe it’s time for a good bath. Soak yourself again in the Word of God. Saturate yourself with the things of Christ. Immerse yourself in worship and prayer. And experience a fresh cleansing from on high. I’m sure that God will just love your fresh, clean scent. And you will, too.

Oh, and by the way, the next time you see a dead skunk in the middle of the road, please just leave it there…and hurry on by.

Pastor Danny